If you would like to get married at either Christ Church or St John’s then please is get in touch with our parish office.
All wedding ceremonies have been suspended during the corona virus outbreak until further notice – for futher details please see the Church of England Corona Virus guidance.https://www.churchofengland.org/more/media-centre/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-churches#na
Congratulations on your engagement. A wedding is a very special day in anyone’s life and we love to work with couples to make their day memorable, holy, joyful and personal. Our team will come alongside you to help you plan your special and personal service and also to walk you through all the things you need to do to be able to get married in church.
You will probably have many questions and to help you prepare for your day the Church of England have a helpful website which could assist in some of these – to find out more by visiting :- https://www.yourchurchwedding.orgCan anyone get married at Christ Church or St John’s?
There rules about where you can marry are set out in law. You can marry at Christ Church or St John’s if you have a qualifying connection. This is a list of the qualifying connections:
if either bride or groom
* live in the parish (you can find this by entering your postcode on this website www.achurchnearyou.com ) or at any time lived in the parish for a period of six months or more
* if you are baptised and on the church’s electoral roll
* if you regularly attend church normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months
* was baptised or confirmed or prepared for confirmation in our parish
or, if one of the bride of grooms parents at anytime after your birth…
* lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months
* has at any time regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months
or, if one of the bride or grooms parents or grandparents:
* were married in the parish.Can I get married in Church if I have been divorced?
If either of you have been married before and are divorced we will need to discussion your situation with one of our clergy before we are able to agree to conduct the service. Please contact the parish office to arrange a time to do this at the earliest opportunity. It may be possible to offer you a service of blessing after a civil marriage if a church service is not possible.